VLog #62 – What is NLP and How Does it Work?

Video – VLog #62

What is Neuro-Linguistic Programming and how does it work?

How does NLP work natural language processing?

Does NLP techniques really work?

Script – VLog #62

David Logan: Hello and welcome to The Techno Dinosaur Meets the I.T. Geek. We’re here, Willie Nicol and myself, David Logan, the I.T Geek. I take the jargon out of technology for you the home-based office worker, make it easy, make it simple, keep it short. Based here in Annan, south of west of Scotland, Annan. With me today as I said previously is Willie Nicol, my co-star. So, Willie, how are you and where are you today?

Willie Nicol: I’d like to say I’m very well David. Unfortunately I’ve just recently came back from the dentist so one side of my face is all numb. So, in case you think I’ve been in the boozer having several pints of beer and my speech is slightly slurred, that’s my excuse. However, you asked .…

David Logan: Now .… that’s a good excuse, not being in the pub!

Willie Nicol: No, the dentist unfortunately. I thought it would have thawed out by now but unfortunately not. Anyway, I’m Willie Nicol, the Techno Dinosaur, so called because I’m technically challenged. However, I’m also a personal development life coach based in Troon, South Ayrshire, Scotland, U.K.

David Logan: Brilliant Willie and I can hear you fine.

Willie Nicol: Good.

David Logan: The good thing is we add subtitles to the videos so if someone doesn’t understand it, they can read it. Hopefully, they can read, most people can.

David Logan: This week Willie, you’re a life coach, I hear about those life coaches, I hear about the letters NLP being mentioned quite a lot, quite often it crops up. So, can you explain to me what NLP …. what the letters stand for and what the subject is all about?

David Logan: Just give us a brief …. don’t want to go into scientific know-how, just generic for the layman, for the I.T. Geek.

Willie Nicol: Fine, David, yes, I can do that. And yes, it will be fairly superficial because it’s quite a wide area of expertise.

Willie Nicol: So, NLP is an acronym for Neuro Linguistic Programming which sounds a wee bit scary like something out of a Dr Who program but it’s actually not. “Neuro” refers to the way our brain behaves, the way we think, so that’s the neuro part. “Linguistic” refers to verbal and non-verbal communication which impacts on our brain and the way we think. And the “Programming” part is that we “re-code” our thinking by the use of appropriate language. So, you can almost say that your thinking, the neuro part, is your body’s or your brain’s operating system, right. And periodically we have to re-code it, update or reprogramme it, like we do with our phone and with our PC and with our laptop – to keep up with the latest updates.

Willie Nicol: Another way of looking at it is – we use language patterns to affect the way we think in a positive manner. So, we can use linguistics to reprogramme our thinking for better outcomes. Does that make sense?

David Logan: Yes

Willie Nicol: I’ll just go on a wee bit further. One of the aspects of NLP is using language in such a way that we alter the way we think. Now we’ve touched on this before, very briefly. If we say things like, “I must do ….”; “I have to do….”’ “I should do ….”; “I ought to do ….”, right.Now it could be going to the gym or losing weight or getting more exercise or eating more healthily or whatever.

Willie Nicol: I’m going to ask you a question here. Do you like being told what to do?

David Logan: No.

Willie Nicol: Exactly. So, when we use these words like “must”, “should”, “have to”, we’re kind of telling ourselves to do something. And humans are kind of conditioned to rebel and say, “No, I’m not doing that”. So, even when somebody tells you what to do and you say, “No I’m not doing that”, it’s very often the case when you tell yourself to do something, you kind of unconsciously rebel against it. “No, I’m not going to the gym”, “I don’t want to”, “Can’t be bothered”, right. When you know actually that you should, you should be going to the gym because you’ve paid your membership and so on and so forth.

Willie Nicol: Now, if you use a certain different type of language, you “reframe” the phrase and say, “I want to”, “I’m going to”, “I will do”, “I’m looking forward to it”. Going to the gym, losing weight or whatever it happens to be. You have subtly changed the way you think from a kind of negative rebellious thing to a more positive outlook which means you’re much more likely to follow through on that activity. And then you can take that further, when you have followed through, you know you’re going to feel better. You’ll feel better having gone to the gym and got some exercise or having gone for a walk or having cut down your calories or whatever.

Willie Nicol: So, just by that simple technique, if you like, of rephrasing or reframing the wording, it can have a very beneficial effect.

Willie Nicol: So, another way we can look at it is “visualisation” which is a form of communication that’s inside our head. So, if I say to you, as I was talking about before we started recording, being at the dentist is not very pleasant. So what I do is, I close my eyes and think of a situation I was in where it was very pleasant. And one of my “go to” pleasant memories …. many years ago I was in Bermuda and I was on the beach. It was a pink coral sandy beach, it was a beautiful blue day, sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky. The sea was that kind of deep, deep blue colour, not unlike my background. There were palm trees blowing in the wind and I was gently jogging by the waterside, absolutely fantastic. How do you think I felt then?

David Logan: You felt good, and I bet you felt thirsty as well.

Willie Nicol: Yeah, I felt great, it was a marvellous experience and at that particular point I thought, this is just perfect.

Willie Nicol: So, when you’re in a less than pleasant situation, such as having a tooth drilled, it’s a very good technique to close your eyes and take yourself back to that very pleasant experience and you can regenerate the feeling, not to the same extent obviously, but you can regenerate that good feeling.

Willie Nicol: So, you’ve kind of changed your thought patterns, your “neuro”, by doing something different, by visualising a pleasant experience.

Willie Nicol: NLP also allows us to change the way we act, our behaviours. It’s actually quite effective in curing the fear of flying or many phobias because we can visualise what the fear is, and we can visualise not having the fear. There’s a lot more to it than that but I won’t go into it this time.

Willie Nicol: So, NLP which has been around for probably 50 odd years, having developed by various psychologists, professors who were looking for a way of changing our patterns of behaviour, changing the way we think using language alone and other means of communication. And it can be done, so just think, change the way you think by changing the way you talk to yourself.

David Logan: Great. Thank you for that Willie and as you say we have done various vlogs on that, but I didn’t realise that came into it, NLP. So, fantastic. Thank you. So, very quickly how does Joe Bloggs learn about NLP? Is there books we can look at or is it something you can list on or is it getting deep in deeper?

Willie Nicol: You can go online and find any number of books about NLP. I would recommend the original written by a guy called Richard Bandler back in the late 70’s. He was the kind of god-father, him and various others but he’s probably the best known and I think he’s still kicking about. So you can find books written by him, you can find learning material, you can also go on courses to learn more about it.

Willie Nicol: Because I understand it sounds a bit weird and it sounds a wee bit “out there”. But having learned about it, having trained in it, and having used it on clients, it’s a very effective tool to change your behaviour for the better.

David Logan: Great Willie, thank you. So, if you want to know more or pick Willie’s brains, drop a comment below or send us a private message above or alternatively contact us direct. So, we’ll wrap up this week Willie, thank you for your time.

David Logan: To you the viewer, keep an eye on our videos. If you’re not connected, search for “The Techno Dinosaur Meets the I.T. Geek” in whatever search engine you have, and you’ll find all the videos. Thank you everybody, have a great week.

Willie Nicol: Yes David. By all means contact me, drop me a message or whatever, if you’d like to learn more about this or any other aspect of coaching. So, all that remains for me to say …. stay safe, stay well and have some fun in this good weather. Goodbye for now.

David Logan: Bye.

29 thoughts on “VLog #62 – What is NLP and How Does it Work?

• 30 August 2023 at 22:24

butterflies flutter gracefully in the summer breeze ghetto the scent of a fragrant jasmine is enchanting

• 12 September 2023 at 18:29

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I really enjoyed
    reading it, you’re a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later on. I want to encourage one to continue
    your great work, have a nice weekend!

• 13 October 2023 at 16:42

Registered users have free access to the Bitcoin Store Wallet (digital wallet) on which you can safely store more than 170 cryptocurrencies. Simply make a deposit and withdraw funds or transfer crypto to other digital wallets. Dogecoin certainly has a lot of pros that many other cryptocurrencies do not have. The fact that it is faster than both Litecoin and Bitcoin and is getting adopted as such, means that there is a lot of room for growth in Dogecoin and that usually translates very well to the price of DOGE making it a good coin to invest in. Dogecoin certainly has a lot of pros that many other cryptocurrencies do not have. The fact that it is faster than both Litecoin and Bitcoin and is getting adopted as such, means that there is a lot of room for growth in Dogecoin and that usually translates very well to the price of DOGE making it a good coin to invest in.
    But not all blockchains, cryptocurrencies or tokens work the same way, and many are no longer distributed as bitcoin. Tokens on a blockchain can be created by a single entity, as was the case with FTT, which was minted by FTX and given out as rewards to users. FTT was also less transparent than other tokens, making it hard to track just how many tokens had been created. People could buy and sell FTT, but trading was relatively limited. Other platforms also held the token. Each blockchain network has various participants who play these roles, among others: Many in the financial services industry refer to blockchain technology as distributed ledger technology. And some see blockchain as a more reliable database than their existing databases. As digital money becomes increasingly widespread, and coupled with an estimate that more than 50% of the world’s population owns a smartphone, some believe that blockchain technology will supplant the banking industry’s old technology. This new financial technology partnership could be the pathway to widely available digital financial products.

• 6 November 2023 at 10:47

Scaricando gratuitamente il software del nostro casinò online, potrai giocare al Blackjack e sederti ad un tavolo virtuale in ogni momento. In alternativa, River Belle ti offre anche la possibilità di giocare alle varie versioni del Blackjack sul web, senza bisogno di alcun download. Holiday Mahjong Dimensions aggiunge lo spirito del Natale al classico rompicapo; scopri un set di livelli completamente nuovi con canzoni natalizie e tessere con alberi di Natale, luci natalizie, decorazioni e altro ancora! Le regole del mahjong sono semplici – abbina due tessere libere con lo stesso simbolo. Una tessera è considerata \”libera\” e cliccabile solo se è scoperta e non bloccata ai lati destro e sinistro. Devi completare tutti i set prima che scada il tempo, proprio come Babbo Natale!
    I codici bonus senza deposito, quando vengono erogati sotto forma di denaro bonus, ti permettono di provare giochi da casinò come slot, blackjack, baccarat, roulette, poker, dadi online e live games, se invece vengono elargiti sotto forma di free spin (giri gratis) sono dedicati esclusivamente alle slot online senza deposito. Il bonus senza deposito non richiede alcun deposito, mentre il bonus di benvenuto viene elargito in proporzione ad un deposito effettuato. Ad esempio, un bonus di benvenuto del 100% fino a 500€ consente di ottenere un bonus pari all’importo del deposito, fino ad un massimo di 500€. Line Item Id: $ Così come cambia anche la situazione Franck Kessie per la Juventus. I bianconeri, prima della novità di oggi, avevano a disposizione un solo slot riservato a calciatori extracomunitari. Da oggi, grazie al fatto che Samuel Iling-Junior è tornato ad essere considerato come comunitario, tesserando Kessie ne avrebbero a disposizione ancora un altro. L’acquisto del centrocampista ivoriano non condizionerebbe dunque il mercato della Vecchia Signora, o quantomeno non come avrebbe fatto fino a ieri.

• 4 December 2023 at 18:27

Attenti a non bere il tè verde senza soia perché da solo fa incrementare la produzione di DHT, producendo l’effetto opposto rispetto a quello desiderato. Se vi piace il tè verde, state perdendo i capelli e non assumete soia allora vi consiglio di bere tè nero (English Breakfast, etc). Attenti a non bere il tè verde senza soia perché da solo fa incrementare la produzione di DHT, producendo l’effetto opposto rispetto a quello desiderato. Se vi piace il tè verde, state perdendo i capelli e non assumete soia allora vi consiglio di bere tè nero (English Breakfast, etc). Il problema è molto semplice. A partire dai trenta, e per alcuni anche molto prima, l’uomo comincia a perdere i capelli. La perdita di capelli tende a colpire la parte alta della testa e le tempie, ed è antiestetica, soprattutto se non si è miliardari. Per i miliardari invece è considerata sexy.
    Per questo oggi abbiamo scelto di descrivere un prodotto innovativo, funzionale e soprattutto formulato interamente con ingredienti naturali che minimizzano potenziali effetti pericolosi: Alfa Lover. Ho pianto per mezza giornata appena preso il rimedio; piangevo sulle spalle di mia moglie e dicevo che non sarei più andato a lavorare; ero disperato, con una angoscia terribile; tutta la mia vita era li, ma è durato poco, poi all’improvviso, tutto bello, sono pieno di casini ma sono sereno, va bene così; non mi devo preoccupare del giudizio degli altri. Il paziente avverte palpitazioni con battiti violenti senza cause apparente; a volte,quando è disteso. Soggetto congesto,con rossore diffuso del viso, estrema ipersensibilità a tutte le impressioni esterne nonostante osteni un forte autocontrollo. In diverse occasioni ha avuto la sensazione di mancamento,come di perdere il contatto conla realtà e di nonsapere dove si trovava. In occasione degli sbalzi pressori avverte fastidiose vampate di calore dal torace alla testa. Dall’anamnesi non emerge nulla di particolare, ha sempre goduto ottima salute fino alla comparsa dell’ipertensione.

• 23 January 2024 at 21:49

Забота о обители – это забота о приятности. Изоляция наружных поверхностей – это не только стильный внешний вид, но и гарантия сохранения тепла в вашем удобном уголке. Наша бригада, группа специалистов, предлагаем вам превратить ваш дом в идеальное место для жизни.
    Наши творческие решения – это не просто теплоизоляция, это творческое воплощение с каждым шагом. Мы добиваемся совершенному сочетанию между красотой и практичностью, чтобы ваш дом стал не только теплым и стильным, но и прекрасным.
    И самое главное – приемлемые расходы! Мы полагаем, что качественные услуги не должны быть неподъемными по цене. [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Утепление здания снаружи цена[/url] начинается всего от 1250 рублей за квадратный метр.
    Использование современных технологий и высококачественных материалов позволяют нам создавать термомодернизацию, которая гарантирует долгий срок службы и надежность. Позабудьте о холоде стен и дополнительных затратах на отопление – наше утепление станет вашим надежным защитником от холода.
    Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]официальном сайте[/url]
    Не откладывайте на потом заботу о благополучии в вашем доме. Обращайтесь к опытным мастерам, и ваш дом превратится настоящим художественным творением, которое принесет вам тепло и удовлетворение. Вместе мы создадим жилище, в котором вам будет по-настоящему уютно!

• 5 February 2024 at 16:24

Измучились мерзнуть зимой и избыточно платить за отопление?
    Инсуляция фасада – решение проблемы!
    Компания “Тепло и уют” с 2010 года предлагает профессиональные услуги по инсуляции фасадов зданий любой сложности. За это время мы зарекомендовали себя как надежный и честный партнер, о чем свидетельствуют многочисленные отзывы наших клиентов.
    Почему стоит выбрать нас?
    доступные цены. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Утепление и облицовка фасада цена[/url] от 1350 руб/м2.
    опытность и профессионализм. Наши бригады имеют широкий опыт работы в сфере обогрева фасадов. Мы используем только засвидетельствованные материалы и новые технологии, что гарантирует высочайшее качество работ.
    Персональный подход. Мы подберем для вас оптимальное решение с учетом ваших потребностей и бюджета.
    Бесплатная консультация и выезд замерщика. Наши специалисты бесплатно проконсультируют вас по всем вопросам инсуляции фасада и произведут точные замеры.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
    Уверенность качества. Мы предоставляем гарантию на все виды работ.
    Звоните нам сегодня и получите бесплатную консультацию!
    Мы сделаем ваш дом теплым, теплым и экономичным!

• 8 February 2024 at 00:33

Изнурены промерзать зимой и избыточно платить за отопление?
    Термоизоляция фасада – решение проблемы!
    Компания “Тепло и уют” с 2010 года предлагает квалифицированные услуги по обтеплению фасадов зданий любой сложности. За это время мы зарекомендовали себя как надежный и обязательный партнер, о чем свидетельствуют множественные отзывы наших клиентов.
    Почему стоит выбрать нас?
    доступные цены. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Заказать утепление фасада[/url] от 1350 руб/м2.
    опытность и компетентность. Наши бригады имеют крупный опыт работы в сфере обогрева фасадов. Мы используем только аттестованные материалы и современные технологии, что гарантирует высокое качество работ.
    Личный подход. Мы подберем для вас наилучшее решение с учетом ваших потребностей и бюджета.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]www.stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
    Обеспечение качества. Мы предоставляем гарантию на все виды работ.
    Звоните нам сегодня и получите бесплатную консультацию!
    Мы сделаем ваш дом теплым, уютным и экономичным!

• 12 February 2024 at 13:04

As an iPhone user, I have been exploring all the available casinos for US players. After long and thorough research, I’ve made a list of casinos that tick all the boxes when it comes to quality. Therefore, make sure to check out the list below, as it contains iPhone casinos that offer the best games and excel at every other aspect. There are hundreds of games available in iPhone casino applications. Think of it as walking through a brick-and-mortar casino and seeing all of your favorites in front of you. The perks of iPhone casinos are that they are available to you on-the-go. It may also take a bit of time getting used to playing on a much smaller screen, especially if you are used to playing at a casino site and viewing the action from a much larger screen. The only other real downside at the moment is that iPhone mobile casinos contain far fewer games compared to the desktop version of the same casino. However, new casino games for iPhone are constantly being developed for mobile, so it shouldn’t be long before the numbers even out a little.
    This bonus is only valid for new players from Australia, Canada and New Zealand In between riffing about the legend that is “King Billy”, the casino makes a bold claim that it’s verified and awarded by the world’s most reputable institutions. We found the King Billy casino to have a high standard of safety and security. Your data’s safe when playing here because of the SSL encryption used. This is basically the standard we expect to see at every casino nowadays. But there are still online casinos that don’t use it. King Billy Casino leaves no stone unturned to provide all the players an unparalleled gaming experience online. Thus it extends promotions and bonuses galore to always keep the players inetrested. A comprehensive list featuring all the King Billy Casino promotions and offers along with the applicable bonus codes has been compiled below. Take a look and find out what it has in store for you:

• 17 February 2024 at 13:15

Уважаемые Клиенты!
    Предлагаем вам новаторское концепцию в мире стилистики домашней обстановки – шторы плиссе. Если вы стремитесь к отличию в всей нюансе вашего дома, то эти гардины окажутся отличным подходом для вас.
    Что делает шторы плиссе настолько живыми особыми? Они совмещают в себе изысканность, практичность и применимость. Благодаря особенной конструкции, технологичным материалам, шторы плиссе идеально гармонизируются с для любого комнаты, будь то хата, спальная комната, печь или деловое пространство.
    Закажите [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]тюль плиссе[/url] – оттворите уют и превосходство в вашем доме!
    Чем подкупают шторы плиссе для вас? Во-первых, их самобытный стиль, который присоединяет привлекательность и шик вашему жилищу. Вы можете отыскивать из различных текстур, оттенков и процедур, чтобы подчеркнуть оригинальность вашего дома.
    Кроме того, шторы плиссе предлагают обширный спектр функциональных возможностей. Они могут управлять уровень света в интерьере, остерегать от солнечного света, поддерживать закрытость и формировать комфортную атмосферу в вашем доме.
    Мы ресурс: [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]http://tulpan-pmr.ru[/url]
    Мы поможем вам выбрать шторы плиссе, какие замечательно подойдутся для вашего дизайна!