What are Device Drivers and Why Are They Important?

Video – VLog #42

How do device drivers work?

What are the steps in installing a device driver?

Where can you get device drivers?

Script – VLog #42

Willie Nicol: Hello and welcome to week 42 of The Techno Dinosaur Meets the IT Geek.

Willie Nicol: My name is Willie Nicol. I am the Techno Dinosaur, due to being technically challenged but I’m also a personal development life coach. I’m based in Troon, South Ayrshire, Scotland. With me today is my usual partner in crime, David Logan, who is the IT Geek. Hi David, how are you and where are you?

David Logan: Hi Willie, I’m great. I’m based here in Annan, south west of Scotland. I am the IT Geek who helps you take the challenge out of technology. I take the jargon out of technology so you can use it at ease, and don’t get stressed.

Willie Nicol: Great, David. Well, I have a technical question for you today. Are you ready?

David Logan: I am ready.

Willie Nicol: Right, here we go. We’ve talked a wee bit in the past, you and I privately but I’d like you to explain in greater detail. What are device drivers? What do they do for us and what do we need to do about them?

David Logan: Okay. Basically, in a nutshell, a device driver is a bit of software which connects your device to Microsoft Windows. I’ll base it on Microsoft Windows at the moment, that’s where my expertise is. The same applies for apple macs, your android phone, Linux operating system. A device is like your keyboard, you type into. Web camera is device in which we can see you on your tv screen monitor. These are all devices.

David Logan: What a device driver is, it basically connects that device to the operating system Microsoft Windows and lets the two communicate and operate as it should. Even as I talk here, the computer is going through millions of programming code to make sure you get the video and my voice through to your end. Does that explain the device driver?

Willie Nicol: Yeah, I’ve got that. That’s the means of communication. The software between the hardware which is the device, your printer, your webcam or whatever, and the operating system on your computer or laptop. We have discussed before about problems about device drivers not working or not connecting. How do we overcome that?

David Logan: Absolutely. So, with the onset of Windows 10, it’s basically plug in and play. Have you heard of plug and play?

Willie Nicol: Yip

David Logan: So, the majority of devices you can plug in and it works out the box. Which is great for the majority of people, the population. Now and again, we hit a snag, we we’re talking about an issue earlier on there whereby Microsoft did not have the proper driver for that device. In that case you can get different results, might not work or it might just malfunction. So, in this scenario here, lets stick to webcam for example, it may show my picture in black and white at your end whereas my end it’s all colour. That could be the typical malfunction. Or it might not show the video full stop.

David Logan: Now, to check these, you need to go into what we call a device manager. On Windows 10, you go to the bottom left, your start button and select search, type in device manager and it’ll bring up a new window which will have all of your devices connected to your computer. If there is a malfunction, if the system is slow, it’ll show you an exclamation mark next to the device which is not correctly set up.

David Logan: So, your question, what was it again?

Willie Nicol: Well, when we get to that scenario, i.e. the connection’s not there or it’s faulty or malfunctioning, how do we remedy that?

David Logan: Okay. So, I’m going to take a step back there Willie. Microsoft have got a big database, thousands of device software in their database and they match it. But, in this scenario, if it doesn’t work, what you need to do then, unless you have a CD for that device, is to go onto the manufacturer’s website and download the device drivers for that device for that operating system.

David Logan: Need to make sure it’s the right operating system, is it Windows 10? Is it Windows 7? Is it 32-bit or is it 64-bit? Make sure you’ve got the right make and model and then through that, once you download that installation file, you can then go into device manager, uninstall the device, ask it to reinstall and it’ll ask you …. “from Windows updates or from an external device”? You select from an external device. That wording isn’t correct, it’s words to have that effect. And then you select where that file is that you have downloaded from the manufacturer’s website and just watch the prompts and go through it.

Willie Nicol: I must be getting better at this, David, because this is actually making sense. Cause I’ve had to do this before when my printer wouldn’t work, and it wasn’t the printer’s fault, and it wasn’t the computer’s fault. It was the connection bit, the software, the device driver and I had to go through all that rigmarole myself to get it to work. So, that’s explained it much more clearly to me. Is there anything else we need to know about device drivers?

David Logan: I would say just check them generally. One thing I would say with Windows updates, very quickly to knock off for this week, is if you check for Windows updates, sometimes newly out now is that you get optional updates. If you open that up, it sometimes has device drivers in that. Device drivers. So, basically, it’s Microsoft saying, “we’ve got some device drivers, do you want to install them?”

Willie Nicol: OK

David Logan: So, if you’ve got an issue with the web camera and it’s not on that list, go for it. Any questions to you, Willie? Or, to the viewer, fire them to me, I’m more than happy to help.

Willie Nicol: Great, David. I think that’s that well covered. To the viewer, if you’ve any technical problems, David’s your man. Any life coaching problems, I’m your man. So, all there really needs for me to say, stay safe, keep well and have some fun. So, it’s goodbye from me, Willie Nicol, the Techno Dinosaur.

David Logan: And from the IT Geek, have some fun but be safe. Have a great week everybody. Catch you next week.

66 thoughts on “What are Device Drivers and Why Are They Important?

• 31 July 2023 at 07:33

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Opera.
    I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something
    to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.

The design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Many thanks

• 25 August 2023 at 11:01

Прогон хрумером — это один из способов раскрутки сайтов в
    интернете, завязанный на автоматизированной регистрации и размещении сообщений на различных площадках, досках объявлений и иных ресурсах.
    Хрумер — вот профессиональный программный инструмент, предназначенный для автоматизации этого процесса.
    Используя этот инструмент, маркетологи и вебмастера
    надеются повысить видимость своего сайта, завлечь трафик и
    оптимизировать показатели в выводах поисковиков
    систем.

Тем не менее нужно иметь в виду, что многие новейшие поисковиков системы,
    такие как Google и Yandex, не поддерживают такие методы раскрутки и возможно будут наказывать
    за них снижением позиций в выводах поиска или полным
    исключением из индекса. Такой подход ассоциируется с фактом,
    что автоматически созданные посты зачастую не несут ценной
    сведений для пользователей
    и возможно будут быть восприняты как спам.

Таким образом, до того чем применять хрумер или аналогичные инструменты, необходимо взвесить все за
    и против, чтобы избежать нежелательных
    последствий для вашего сайта.

Take a look at my website: xrumer

• 20 September 2023 at 20:48

Hello colleagues, how is all, and what you want to say concerning this piece of writing, in my view its
    genuinely awesome in support of me.

• 20 September 2023 at 21:05

Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or
    maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

• 6 October 2023 at 19:52

My brother recommended I might like this web site.

He was entirely right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info!

Thanks!

• 23 October 2023 at 08:20

I am really inspired with your writing talents and also with the structure on your weblog.
    Is this a paid subject matter or did you modify it your
    self? Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to look a great weblog like this one nowadays..

• 10 December 2023 at 01:55

Эффективное воздухонепроницаемость наружных стен — радость и бюджетность в жилом коттедже!
    Согласитесь, ваш загородный дом заслуживает отличного! Теплосбережение обшивки – не исключительно решение для сбережения на отопительных расходах, это инвестиция в удобство и прочность вашего здания.
    ✨ Почему тепловая изоляция с нами-специалистами?
    Квалификация: Наши мастера – опытные. Мы заботимся о всей, чтобы обеспечить вашему недвижимости идеальное утепление.
    Сумма теплосбережения: Наша бригада ценим ваш денежные средства. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Стоимость утепления фасада дома[/url] – начиная от 1350 руб./кв.м. Это вложение денег в ваше комфортабельное будущее!
    Энергосбережение: Забудьте о теплопотерях! Наши материалы не только сохраняют тепловое комфорта, но и дарят вашему коттеджу новый стандарт энергоэффективности.
    Устроите свой домик комфортным и стильным!
    Подробнее на [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]веб-сайте
    [/url]
    Не оставляйте свой дом на волю случайности. Доверьтесь профессионалам и создайте тепло вместе с нами-профессионалами!

• 13 December 2023 at 09:31

Whenn someone wrrites ann artcle hе/sһe retasins tthe іmage oof a usewr inn his/һеr bain thaqt hhow a usesr caan undrerstand іt.
    So that’ѕ whyy thbis piecde ᧐ff wditing iis amazing.

Ꭲhanks!

Heere iss myy webnpage وب‌سایت معتبر و موثق
    [Guadalupe]

• 10 January 2024 at 01:27

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from
    PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type
    on several websites for about a year and am nervous about
    switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net.

Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

• 12 January 2024 at 07:14

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering problems with your website.
    It seems like some of the written text within your
    content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This could be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve had
    this happen previously. Cheers https://Bookmarksknot.com/story17466812/goodlifeloan

• 14 January 2024 at 05:37

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through
    Google, and found that it is truly informative.
    I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future.

Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

• 18 January 2024 at 01:55

Howdy very cool site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful ..
    I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?
    I’m happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we want
    develop more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . . https://Dublinohiousa.gov

• 26 January 2024 at 12:01

Наша команда искусных специалистов проштудирована предложить вам новаторские подходы, которые не только подарят надежную протекцию от прохлады, но и преподнесут вашему жилью стильный вид.
    Мы функционируем с последними материалами, подтверждая долгий срок эксплуатации и отличные результаты. Теплоизоляция наружных стен – это не только сбережение на отоплении, но и ухаживание о экосистеме. Энергоспасающие подходы, какие мы внедряем, способствуют не только своему, но и поддержанию природных ресурсов.
    Самое центральное: [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Утепление и облицовка фасада цена[/url] у нас стартует всего от 1250 рублей за м2! Это доступное решение, которое преобразит ваш помещение в реальный душевный локал с минимальными затратами.
    Наши примеры – это не всего лишь изолирование, это образование территории, в где каждый аспект отражает ваш уникальный стиль. Мы примем во внимание все ваши требования, чтобы осуществить ваш дом еще более дружелюбным и привлекательным.
    Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]официальном сайте[/url]
    Не откладывайте занятия о своем обители на потом! Обращайтесь к мастерам, и мы сделаем ваш помещение не только теплым, но и стильнее. Заинтересовались? Подробнее о наших работах вы можете узнать на веб-сайте. Добро пожаловать в сферу комфорта и высоких стандартов.

• 1 February 2024 at 00:34

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. That is a very smartly written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your
    useful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

• 6 February 2024 at 16:14

Стальные шаровые краны [url=https://sharovyekrany.ru/]https://sharovyekrany.ru/[/url] – РѕС‚ производителя

• 7 February 2024 at 02:00

For most recent information you have to pay a quick visit web and on world-wide-web I found this web site as a best website for most
    recent updates. elysionix.top

• 7 February 2024 at 02:41

Заключение диплома необходимо для профессиональной деятельности на высокооплачиваемую работу. Иногда случаются ситуации, когда предыдущий документ неприменим для области трудоустройства. Покупка диплома в Москве решит эту проблему и обеспечит процветание в будущем – [URL=https://kupit-diplom1.com/]https://kupit-diplom1.com/[/URL]. Существует множество причин, побуждающих покупку документа об образовании в Москве. После продолжительного трудового стажа внезапно может потребоваться университетский диплом. Работодатель может изменить требования к сотрудникам и заставить принять решение – взять диплом или потерять работу. Очное обучение занимает много времени и энергии, а заочное обучение — потребует средства для проведения экзаменов. Ð’ подобных случаях более выгодно приобрести готовую копию. Если вы уже знакомы с особенностями будущей профессии и научились необходимым навыкам, нет смысла тратить время на учебу в университете. Плюсы заказа документа об образовании воспринимают скорое производство, полное совпадение с оригиналом, доступные цены, гарантию трудоустройства, самостоятельный выбор оценок и удобную доставку. Наша фирма обеспечивает возможность каждому человеку получить желаемую специальность. Цена изготовления документов доступна, что делает доступным этот вид услуг для всех.

• 7 February 2024 at 07:46

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?

I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very
    good results. If you know of any please share. Thanks!

• 9 February 2024 at 11:51

Вы можете приобрести диплом у нас в интернет-магазине [URL=https://diplomguru.com]https://diplomguru.com[/URL] по низкой цене с доставкой по всей России. У нас вы найдете дипломы всех университетов Москвы, независимо от года выпуска и специальности.

• 10 February 2024 at 18:54

Fine way of describing, and fastidious piece of writing
    to take information regarding my presentation topic, which i
    am going to deliver in university.

Here is my web blog … 먹튀사이트

• 12 February 2024 at 01:13

Интересует [URL=https://diplom4.me/]купить диплом о высшем образовании[/URL]? Мы предлагаем широкий выбор документов с подтвержденным качеством. Получите свой диплом срочно и без лишних заморочек.

• 13 February 2024 at 17:16

[URL=https://diplomsuper.net]Купить аттестат[/URL] – это важный шаг вперед для тех, кто намеревается завершить аттестат.

• 14 February 2024 at 08:56

[url=https://bryansk32-forum.ru/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6656&p=21473]https://bryansk32-forum.ru/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6656&p=21473[/url]

• 14 February 2024 at 13:56

Уважаемые Друзья!
    Вводим вам новейшее тренд в мире стилистики домашней обстановки – шторы плиссе. Если вы мечтаете к отличию в всякой подробности вашего жилища, то эти завесы станут великолепным решением для вас.
    Что делает шторы плиссе столь необычными? Они объединяют в себе в себе изысканность, использование и применимость. Благодаря характерной структуре, новаторским тканям, шторы плиссе идеально подходят к для какого бы то ни комнатки, будь то хата, ложе, кухонное пространство или трудовое поляна.
    Закажите [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]недорогие жалюзи плиссе на пластиковые окна[/url] – создайте уют и красивость в вашем доме!
    Чем понравятся шторы плиссе для вас? Во-первых, их особенный дизайн, который присоединяет привлекательность и элегантность вашему интерьеру. Вы можете выбирать из различных текстур, оттенков и подходов, чтобы отметить уникальность вашего жилища.
    Кроме того, шторы плиссе предлагают обширный базар практических вариантов. Они могут контролировать степень освещения в пространстве, оберегать от солнечного света, обеспечивать интимность и создавать уютную атмосферу в вашем жилище.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]https://www.tulpan-pmr.ru[/url]
    Мы поможем вам выбрать шторы плиссе, которые замечательно подойдут для вашего дизайна!

• 16 February 2024 at 10:48

В текущих ситуациях достаточно сложно обеспечить будущее без академического образования – [URL=https://diplomex.com/]diplomex.com[/URL]. Трудно найти работу на позицию с подходящей оплатой труда и комфортными условиями без такого. Множество индивидуумы, получившие информацию о подходящей под вакансии, вынуждены отстраниться из-за недостатка соответствующего документа. Однако можно разрешить проблему, купив диплом о высшем образовании, цена которого будет доступна по сравнению со стоимостью обучения. Особенности заказа диплома о высшем уровне: Если человеку нужно всего лишь демонстрировать документ друзьям из-за такого, что они не достигли окончания учебу по некоторым причинам, можно приобрести дешевую топографическую копию. Однако, если его придется предъявиться при устройстве на работу, к этому вопросу следует подойти более серьезно.

• 17 February 2024 at 04:07

Thanks for your help and for writing this post. It’s been great.

• 17 February 2024 at 11:30

На территории Москве приобрести свидетельство – это практичный и экспресс вариант завершить нужный документ без лишних хлопот. Разнообразие фирм предоставляют помощь по производству и реализации свидетельств разных образовательных институтов – [URL=https://diplomkupit.org/]diplomkupit.org[/URL]. Разнообразие дипломов в столице России большой, включая документы о высшем уровне и среднем ступени учебе, документы, свидетельства вузов и университетов. Основной преимущество – возможность достать диплом официальный документ, обеспечивающий достоверность и качество. Это предоставляет уникальная защита против подделок и позволяет использовать свидетельство для разнообразных целей. Таким способом, заказ диплома в столице России является важным достоверным и оптимальным вариантом для данных, кто хочет достичь успеха в карьере.

• 18 February 2024 at 10:52

Внутри городе Москве заказать свидетельство – это практичный и оперативный вариант достать нужный бумага безо дополнительных трудностей. Большое количество организаций предоставляют помощь по изготовлению и торговле свидетельств различных образовательных учреждений – [URL=https://diplom4you.net/]https://diplom4you.net/[/URL]. Разнообразие дипломов в столице России большой, включая документы о высшем и нормальном образовании, документы, свидетельства техникумов и вузов. Основной достоинство – возможность приобрести диплом официальный документ, обеспечивающий подлинность и качество. Это предоставляет уникальная защита против подделок и дает возможность использовать аттестат для различных нужд. Таким образом, покупка диплома в столице России является безопасным и экономичным решением для данных, кто стремится к успеху в сфере работы.

• 20 February 2024 at 09:58

Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest authoring on other websites?
    I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know
    my subscribers would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested,
    feel free to send me an email.

• 22 February 2024 at 13:41

Советуем посетить сайт про автомасло [url=https://usovanton.blogspot.com/]https://usovanton.blogspot.com/[/url]

Также не забудьте добавить сайт в закладки: https://usovanton.blogspot.com/