VLog #60 – What is Assertiveness?

Video – VLog #60

What does assertiveness mean?

What 3 things describe an assertive person?

What are the types of assertiveness?

Script – VLog #60

David Logan: Hello everybody. My name is David Logan, the I.T. Geek. We’re here for another series of The Techno Dinosaur Meets The I.T. Geek. I’m based here in Annan, south west of Scotland. For this week we’re having sunshine and showers. With me today is Willie Nicol. So, Willie, where are you and how are you?

Willie Nicol: I’m very well thank you David. I am in Troon, South Ayrshire, Scotland, U.K. I am Willie Nicol the Techno Dinosaur. I’m called that because I’m technologically challenged. However, I’m also a personal development life coach, helping people with the “stuff” in their life they want to improve.

David Logan: Stuff in their life. Are you any good at clearing out stuff out of offices?

Willie Nicol: No, I’m more acclimatised to clearing stuff out of the head.

David Logan: Forgive me. Okay, this week, question for you Willie, what is assertiveness and how can you help?

Willie Nicol: That’s a very good question David and it’s one I’m …. a topic that I’m asked about quite often. So, what is assertiveness? If you were to look up the dictionary it is, “The quality of self-assurance and confidence without being aggressive”. And I’ll talk more about aggressive and assertive later. Now, we’d all like to be confident in all situations but sometimes that’s not the case, when our assertiveness deserts us. It’s sometimes easier said than done, to be assertive.

Willie Nicol: However, I did some research online and I took some notes about how we can improve our assertiveness if we’re having a bit f a ‘dip’. So, let me just refer. Communication skills are very important. You have to figure out, are you passive? Which means you just say yes to everything, right. Are you aggressive? Which is not the way to go either because aggressive communication can tend towards bullying and pushing others into situations they don’t want to be in. What you want to be is assertive, where you politely state what it is that you want or you need and you can do that without being passive or aggressive. I hope that makes sense.

David Logan: Yup.

Willie Nicol: Another way is to think about what you’re going to say, if you know you’re going to be in a situation where assertiveness might be a problem. So, think about what you’re going to say first instead of somebody saying, “Will you do this for me”? And you automatically go, “Aye okay then”, and then think immediately, “I didn’t want to do that”.

Willie Nicol: So, think about what you’re going to say. You might even want to consider having a couple of ‘stock phrases’ like, “Can I get back to you on that”? or “I’ll need to check my diary”. Or, for that matter, “I’m very sorry but I’ve got other things to do and I can’t help you”, right. Not impolite, not aggressive, but think about having your …. I don’t want to call them excuses, but having your ducks in a row before that happens.

Willie Nicol: Another thing about assertiveness, or lack of assertiveness, is you might feel guilty when you say, “I can’t do that for you”, and that guilt makes you just say, “Ok, I’ll do it for you anyway”. And then you berate yourself for being so passive.

Willie Nicol: So, we have talked previously about the way we talk to ourselves. Practice using what I call, “positive self-talk”. Bump yourself up. “I’m worthy of doing what I want to do”. “I have important things to do with my time”. “I am an important person in my own right”. Without going over the top. So, practice that so when it comes to somebody asking for something you don’t want to do, you will feel more comfortable in asserting your personality.

Willie Nicol: We’ve talked previously about breathing. When something happens to you, take a deep breath. Count to 10. It’s a very, very effective tool in a whole variety of situations. So, again when somebody approaches you and asks you to do something you don’t want to do, take a deep breath. That also gives you the time to think, “Do I want to do this or do I not”? And, if I don’t want to do it, how can I politely say no? Does that make sense also?

David Logan: Absolutely, yes.

Willie Nicol: Right. We’ve also talked about body language and confidence. So, if you want to appear more assertive, adopt a more assertive stance, right. So, you don’t have to stand like Superman with your chest out in a kind of aggressive posture. Stand up straight, put your shoulders back, maintain eye contact with the other person and adopt a kind of neutral expression, neither aggressive nor passive. And just by doing that you’re in a better position to formulate a response to whatever their request is going to be, okay?

Willie Nicol: Moving on, if you know you’re going to be in a situation where assertiveness might be problematic …. an interview with your boss, and you know he’s going to ask you to do something that you don’t really want to do, practice with a trusted friend. Go through that scenario and imagine how that’s going to play out, you respond accordingly and then you seek feedback from your trusted friend. “How did that sound”? Was that aggressive? Was it passive? Was it polite? What was it?’ And then take that on board because there is a fine line between being assertive, being aggressive …. or being passive and appearing weak or insecure. And it’s learning where that line is which will help us to get on the right side of being assertive.

Willie Nicol : Another thing I would suggest is, believing in your own worth. Your own self-worth and belief in yourself. “I’m worthy of my own time. I don’t have to do that. My time is as important as that other person’s”. Now, that might not always work but self-worth, self-belief …. if you can boost that up, that will go a long way to increasing your levels of assertiveness.

Willie Nicol: Just before I finish off, consider setting “boundaries”. That means that …. I will go to that boundary but no further. So, if people, as some people will do, try and “take a loan” of you as we say in the West of Scotland, or try and impose on your good nature and you acquiesce on this and say “yes” automatically, you’re being passive. So, if you think of it, “Where are my boundaries”? “Where is the line which I won’t cross”? And always remember, it’s absolutely fine to say “no”, as long as you do it in a polite manner, right. If somebody asks you to do something or go there or whatever, you can absolutely say, “I’m sorry, no”.

Willie Nicol: Finally, if any of this still appears problematic, talk to someone like me or another therapist who’ll be able to give you tools to overcome any blockages you have when it comes to your own assertiveness. So, I hope these tips have been useful and remember …. assertive not aggressive and not passive. That’s me.

David Logan: Thank you Willie. Thanks for answering that fantastic topic there, a lot of content. To you the viewer, if you want to know more or you want the help or assistance drop in the comments below and we’ll come back to you. Or a private message or even send a private message to Willie direct. Send it to me, one of my connections, or throw it over to Willie.

David Logan: Have a great week everybody. Keep an eye out for ‘The Techno Dinosaur meets the I.T. Geek’.

Willie Nicol: Thank you David. Just one last thing …. I’m happy to chat to anyone on a pro bono basis. If you want to get in touch with me, I’ll send you my calendar link and you can book a consultation with me. There’ll be no charge, no obligation. I just like to help with any of the things I’ve talked about.So, in the meantime, stay safe, stay well, have some fun. Goodbye for now.

David Logan: Bye.

23 thoughts on “VLog #60 – What is Assertiveness?

• 14 December 2023 at 10:48

Hi would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re using?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a
    lot quicker then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at
    a fair price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

• 26 January 2024 at 06:28

Забота о вашем доме – это забота о удобстве. Изоляция наружных поверхностей – это не только изысканный облик, но и обеспечение сохранения тепла в вашем уголке уюта. Наша бригада, команда профессионалов, предлагаем вам преобразить ваше жилище в идеальное жилище.
    Выполненные нами проекты – это не просто теплоизоляция, это творчество с каждым кирпичом. Мы предпочитаем гармонии между формой и содержанием, чтобы ваш дом превратился не только уютным, но и изысканным.
    И самое главное – удовлетворительная стоимость! Мы верим, что профессиональные услуги не должны быть неподъемными по цене. [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Заказать утепление фасада[/url] начинается всего начиная с 1250 рублей за квадрат.
    Современные технологии и высококачественные материалы позволяют нам создавать утепление, обеспечивающее долговечность и надежность. Забвение о холодных стенах и избежание лишних расходов на отопление – наше утепление станет вашим надежной защитой от холода.
    Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]http://www.ppu-prof.ru/[/url]
    Не откладывайте на потом заботу о приятности в вашем доме. Обращайтесь к квалифицированным специалистам, и ваш уголок станет настоящим творческим шедевром, которое согреет вас не только теплом. Вместе мы создадим пространство, в котором вам будет по-настоящему удобно!

• 6 February 2024 at 08:55

Утомились остывать зимой и избыточно платить за отопление?
    Инсуляция фасада – решение проблемы!
    Компания “Тепло и уют” с 2010 года предлагает опытные услуги по теплообеспечению фасадов зданий любой сложности. За это время мы зарекомендовали себя как достоверный и добросовестный партнер, о чем свидетельствуют многочисленные отзывы наших клиентов.
    Почему стоит выбрать нас?
    доступные цены. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Утепление дома снаружи цена москва[/url] от 1350 руб/м2.
    опытность и профессионализм. Наши бригады имеют массивный опыт работы в сфере теплообеспечения фасадов. Мы используем только удостоверенные материалы и современные технологии, что гарантирует повышенное качество работ.
    Персональный подход. Мы подберем для вас лучшее решение с заметанием ваших потребностей и бюджета.
    Бесплатная консультация и выезд замерщика. Наши специалисты бесплатно проконсультируют вас по всем вопросам термоизоляции фасада и произведут точные замеры.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
    Гарантия качества. Мы предоставляем гарантию на все виды работ.
    Звоните нам сегодня и получите бесплатную консультацию!
    Мы сделаем ваш дом уютным, теплым и экономичным!

• 7 February 2024 at 10:09

Изнурены остывать зимой и перевыплачивать за отопление?
    Теплообеспечение фасада – решение проблемы!
    Компания “Тепло и уют” с 2010 года предлагает компетентные услуги по обтеплению фасадов зданий любой сложности. За это время мы зарекомендовали себя как прочный и благонадежный партнер, о чем свидетельствуют многие отзывы наших клиентов.
    Почему стоит выбрать нас?
    доступные цены. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Сколько стоит сделать утепление фасада[/url] от 1350 руб/м2.
    опытность и профессионализм. Наши бригады имеют крупный опыт работы в сфере обтепления фасадов. Мы используем только засвидетельствованные материалы и современные технологии, что гарантирует повышенное качество работ.
    Индивидуальный подход. Мы подберем для вас наилучшее решение с учетом ваших потребностей и бюджета.
    Бесплатная консультация и выезд замерщика. Наши специалисты бесплатно проконсультируют вас по всем вопросам утепления фасада и произведут точные замеры.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]http://stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
    Гарантия качества. Мы предоставляем обеспечение на все виды работ.
    Звоните нам сегодня и получите бесплатную консультацию!
    Мы сделаем ваш дом уютным, теплым и экономичным!

• 8 February 2024 at 13:56

Измучились застывать зимой и избыточно выплачивать за отопление?
    обогрев фасада – решение проблемы!
    Компания “Тепло и уют” с 2010 года предлагает опытные услуги по инсуляции фасадов зданий любой сложности. За это время мы зарекомендовали себя как твердый и честный партнер, о чем свидетельствуют многочисленные отзывы наших клиентов.
    Почему стоит выбрать нас?
    Доступные цены. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Цена м2 утепление фасада дома[/url] от 1350 руб/м2.
    опытность и компетентность. Наши бригады имеют обширный опыт работы в сфере теплоизоляции фасадов. Мы используем только сертифицированные материалы и новые технологии, что гарантирует повышенное качество работ.
    Частный подход. Мы подберем для вас наилучшее решение с учетом ваших потребностей и бюджета.
    Бесплатная консультация и выезд замерщика. Наши специалисты бесплатно проконсультируют вас по всем вопросам термоизоляции фасада и произведут аккуратные замеры.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/[/url]
    Уверенность качества. Мы предоставляем гарантию на все виды работ.
    Звоните нам сегодня и получите бесплатную консультацию!
    Мы сделаем ваш дом теплым, теплым и экономичным!

• 10 February 2024 at 04:33

Изнемогли промерзать зимой и излишне выплачивать за отопление?
    Термоизоляция фасада – решение проблемы!
    Компания “Тепло и уют” с 2010 года предлагает опытные услуги по обтеплению фасадов зданий любой сложности. За это время мы зарекомендовали себя как верный и добросовестный партнер, о чем свидетельствуют многие отзывы наших клиентов.
    Почему стоит выбрать нас?
    доступные цены. [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]Утепление и обшивка дома стоимость[/url] от 1350 руб/м2.
    Опыт и компетентность. Наши бригады имеют крупный опыт работы в сфере теплоизоляции фасадов. Мы используем только засвидетельствованные материалы и новые технологии, что гарантирует высокое качество работ.
    Индивидуальный подход. Мы подберем для вас оптимальное решение с учетом ваших потребностей и бюджета.
    Бесплатная консультация и выезд замерщика. Наши специалисты бесплатно проконсультируют вас по всем вопросам утепления фасада и произведут аккуратные замеры.
    Наш сайт: [url=https://stroystandart-kirov.ru/]https://www.stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
    Гарантия качества. Мы предоставляем гарантию на все виды работ.
    Звоните нам сегодня и получите бесплатную консультацию!
    Мы сделаем ваш дом теплым, уютным и экономичным!

• 17 February 2024 at 10:53

Уважаемые Партнеры!
    Вводим вам новое понятие в мире стилистики внутреннего пространства – шторы плиссе. Если вы надеетесь к превосходству в всякой детали вашего домашнего, то эти завесы будут отличным решением для вас.
    Что делает шторы плиссе настолько особыми? Они сочетают в себе изящество, использование и применимость. Благодаря характерной архитектуре, прогрессивным субстанциям, шторы плиссе идеально гармонизируются с для любого другого ложи, будь то гостинка, спальная комната, печь или трудовое пространство.
    Закажите [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]шторы плиссе с направляющими[/url] – совершите уют и прекрасность в вашем доме!
    Чем подсаживают шторы плиссе для вас? Во-первых, их уникальный образ, который присоединяет обаяние и лоск вашему внутреннему пространству. Вы можете подобрать из разнообразных текстур, оттенков и стилей, чтобы отметить оригинальность вашего дома.
    Кроме того, шторы плиссе предлагают широкий круг функциональных вариантов. Они могут регулировать уровень сияния в помещении, защищать от солнечного света, обеспечивать конфиденциальность и создавать комфортную атмосферу в вашем доме.
    Мы сайт: [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]http://tulpan-pmr.ru[/url]
    Мы сами поможем вам подобрать шторы плиссе, какие отлично подходят к для вашего оформления!